I watched that building as it was constructed everytime I drove into work. “Wafi Hotel” – we called it. So when Privilee announced that they had a new hotel onboard (yay!) and it was Sofitel The Obelisk – hmm…. looks very familiar? It’s really quite easy to recognise the Sofitel – it must be the only super high rise within Dubai Healthcare City, towering over Hyatt Regency.
So off we went this afternoon all excited to check it out. Valet works here which was convenient (most hotels in Dubai still require self-parking). We unloaded the entire troupe – Child 1, Child 2, Child 3, Nanny, Pram, Swim bag,
Half the apartment My Bag, Daddy’s Bag – you get the gist. We were greeted with big smiles as we got in, as well as a ginormous gold falcon attached to the wall behind the front desk. When I say ginormous I mean like I-sure-as-hell-hope-its-been-fixed-on-the-wall-properly big. Wouldn’t be very funny if it decided to take off.
First impressions of its facilities? What to expect if you’re planning a daycation here with the family?
- Nice and quiet at the pool area (note : Hotel has only been opened for 10 days)
- Shaded kids pool at a constant 0.6m depth. There are shower heads over the kids pool but it’s currently not working.
- Toilets – right next to the kids pool which is super convenient.
- No indoor showers, however there are outdoor showers located also next to kids pool.
- Splash pad not working yet – lifeguards are unable to advise when it will be operating.
- Adult pool is 1.5m deep – and goes from a large square leading into a 3-lane ‘lap’ pool. Really nice for those who love to swim (me!)
- You can order poolside. They give you the QR code stamped onto a wooden block (so cool, isn’t it) which gives you the menu for Soleil Pool & Lounge.
- Nothing’s in the Entertainer yet it seems but we get 20% off with Privilee, hooray
- Usual poolside food like sandwiches, burgers and pizzas.
- Portions are quite small I felt for the price (in comparison what is offered in the other hotels) – the beef pepperoni pizza was 65AED, club sandwich 70 AED. Click here to see what Riva’s club sandwich looks nice – similar price (74 AED), twice the amount, also in Ent. Or Urban Lounge’s at Intercont Dubai Marina – 80 AED, twice the amount, also in Ent. Make it bigger guys. It’s just sandwich! 🙂
- Complimentary water provided – comes in these paper cartons which I initially thought was Vita Coco (Not so lucky…)
- Bill came out incorrect – not a big deal – waiter was apologetic and got it fixed immediately. Early days I guess. Double check your bill before you tap.
- Didn’t have time for drinks this time round – next time? 🙂
- Also on the 6th floor, next to the pool
- Drop offs for 4 years and above
- Eventhough it is open from 9am to 9pm, Privilee members are only allowed between 10am to 4pm – max 1 hour
- Nice little space. My girl was quite happy doing some colouring, arts and craft. She was the only kid there today but quite happy to stay there with the attendant.
Husband was in the gym – also on the 6th floor which is super convenient for the family. All in all – nice afternoon and a large part of it is because it was quiet. Give it a few weeks and things will definitely pick up. They have these private poolside cabanas with private jacuzzis – you also get your own private bathroom WITH a shower. Insane 😉
Well, congrats on the opening, Sofitel The Obelisk. It’s been a tough many months staying closed over a large part of 2020 but doors are finally open. Service seems pretty good today – I expected no less considering we were the only ones at the kids pool when we were there. Just get the food portions bigger please, and get the splash pad and showers above kids pool working 😉
Note : Non-sponsored. We spent the day at the Sofitel using our Privilee membership, which we have paid for.